Thursday, October 14, 2010

1 doctor, 2 Doctor, 3 Doctor.....More?

Between Jarod and I and my dad it seems like we are always seeing doctors! My dad is STILL in the hospital and it we hit the 2 week mark yesterday. I know in my previous post I had said the doctor thought my dad would only have to be in the hospital 2 weeks. We were hoping but weren't counting on it too much b/c like I said anytime my dad goes in the hospital it is usually 3-4 weeks. It is weird saying, only 2 weeks b/c normally people are in and out of the hospital on average a week. But it is something we just prepare ourselves for and try to help as much as we can to get my dad back home. We don't try and push it though b/c we want my dad back home cured and don't want any reasons to be going back to the hospital again. At first my dad was doing okay but I think with anyone after being in the hospital for a while it will start to get to you. He was getting a little down but is back to his old self again. I think too if I had to stay in bed in the hospital all day and night I would start getting a little stir crazy too. haha. I am one that likes to keep busy!! When it was really nice outside I could tell my dad wanted to just be outside b/c he knows the winter is fast approaching. My mom and grandma have been going down there everyday and staying pretty much the whole day with him and I have been driving 2-3 times a week. Ugh....I hate that hour drive and after a while it just wears you out. But I want to see my dad and keep him company so I tough it out. He is still getting IV antibiotics and the doctor says, his surgery site is healing good but just a little slower then he wanted. As long as he is improving we are all happy!

As for Jarod and I. I have been putting it off to post about our most recent doctor's visit b/c I was so emotional about it at first and didn't really want to talk about if for a couple weeks. It hit me harder than Jarod but we are both doing better. We just have to keep reminding ourselves something will come of this all and no matter what does I know we will be happy! So here goes. A couple weeks ago we got the results back from Jarod's hormone levels, Semen Analysis (SA) and Urinalysis. Hormone levels were normal so that couldn't be causing his low sperm count. Urinalysis didn't have any sperm so he doesn't have a back flow of sperm into his bladder. And his SA was ZERO again!!!! Three weeks prior to this appt. his count was zero and 3-4 months ago his count was 2 million. I know things can change in 3 months with sperm production so that could effect the results every 3 months. So we are still in the process of trying to find out why Jarod's sperm count is low. The doctor said, the last test to do is a testicular biopsy. Do you remember me saying the other doctor wanted to do that?! Well now that we have had Jarod's hormone levels checked, his  urinalysis done and his couts are now zero I feel more comfortable moving forward with this option. Note how I said, I. Jarod is still a little scared but is willing to do it. Before I didn't want to jump into surgery until we had other things tested and just b/c surgery would be more painful for Jarod. Well I think we are at the point where this is the last option and if we can't find anything from this then we may not know whey Jarod's counts are low.

The biopsy will determine if Jarod is producing adequate sperm or just really none at all. The doctor said, 1/3 of the time the male is producing enough sperm but has a blockage and that is the cause but the other 2/3 are just not really producing. The way the doctor was explaining to us didn't sound good. But we want to know what is causing this and are hoping and praying, hoping and praying that is is a blockage. I want Jarod to be one that has a blockage!!!! The surgery was elective and it took us a couple days to decide exactly what we wanted to do. I know Jarod will be sore a couple days after the surgery and will be on bedrest but I told him I will take good care of him:) So the surgery is planned for the begining of Nov. I am happy I have a husband that is willing to go through this b/c not all guys would want to. No matter what we have to go through I know we will be at one another's side and will support one another. I have to say, I am one of the luckiest girls to have such an amazing hubby!!!!

Until then we will have to wait and see. And like I said, I had been putting this post off b/c when we heard the news I was thinking we may never be able to have a kid that is both ours. And that may be true! However, if we can't I can't let that get to me or us. I know there are other options out there even though I would LOVE for US to have a kid together!!!! Wouldn't most people?! I was sad at first and those first couple of days after hearing that news I didn't want to do anything.....I really didn't think I would be like that. I guess you never really know until it happens. And that saying is so true......when something does happen you never really know until it happens but you have to keep moving forward and thank God for what you do have. I know there will still be days where I will get down but I know that is normal. It is hard to believe next month will be a year since we have been trying and thinking we had thoughts we would be a family of 3 by now!!!! I hope 2011 will be the year a little Knepp will be made:)

Besides all that doctor business we really have been enjoying life and this awesome weather!! We took a drive through Shoals and to French Lick last saturday. I know some people would laugh but it really is pretty around there esp. this time of year!! We got to see the golf coarse at French Lick and that place is absolutely beautiful!!!! I could just hop in a golf cart and drive around and be completely happy. haha. It is gated but if you can get the chance check it out.....it costs a lot of $$$ though! Too much for me!!! We did sneek in though and looked around for a couple minutes and that is how we go to check it out;) Then sunday we just hung out at the house and some friends over and watched football. Typical sunday!

2 comments:

Tera said...

((big hugs))

Megan said...

Ashley. I'm praying that you find peace through God with whatever the results of the test might be! Infertility is an emotional jouney that can not be easily explained to those who haven't traveled down that path. You and Jarod are in our thoughts and prayers! God has a plan for your life and it is much greater that we could ever imagine!!! Let me know if u ever just need to talk! I love to talk!:) seriously!