Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What bedrest can do to you

I debated about posting this but I am so confused on what to do that I just have to. I feel like I try and try and get no where.....and it just hurts. This post is about needing prayers for my dad. Like you know he had surgery September 28 and with it being a month later he is still on bedrest trying to let his body heal from the surgery. He was able to come home last week but in an ambulance because the doctors still don't want him out of bed. While in the hospital he got a little infection so that set him back healing wise but we were hoping he would have been able to get out of bed by now! I can't imagine having to stay in bed 24/7!!! We have to go by the doctors orders though and my dad HAS to stay in bed. The only thing is that my dad is getting so stir crazy that he said, no matter what he is getting up this week-end. He has a doctor's appt. tomorrow and I am a little scared to hear what he has to say. What if he feels he still isn't ready to sit up? What if something happens and then my dad has to start at square one again?

I know it is extremely hard for my dad but I try to encourage him as much as I can. I have been visiting him most of the days I am off work but it doesn't seem like it is affecting his mood/thoughts. Well.....I know it is a little but I just wish he would be in better spirits. This past week or two he has just been thinking so negative and just isn't himself. He gets upset about things easily and I try to talk to him about it but I feel like I get no where. My mom and grandma try to talk to him and still don't really get nowhere. This is what I was mostly asking prayers for. I pray that my dad starts to have a better outlook on things. I know only he himself can do this. It is ultimately up to him. The only thing is that it affects all of us and just flat out makes me sad. I hate seeing my dad like this! He knows this isn't long term and I keep saying each day is one day closer that he will be able to get up. I have really thought about having a counselor or someone talk to my dad. I have been in situation's trying to help before but this time it is harder and I am trying to do the best thing. My mom stays at home with my dad everyday and he will want to take his frustration out on her at times and it just kills me. The last time he had to stay bedridden was after the car accident 6 years ago and half of that time he was medicated and didn't really know what was going on. My dad has his times where being paralyzed gets to him but this is reallyyy getting to him and is affecting my mom as well.

Does anyone know of a counselor that will go to someone's home or even a counselor that they can go visit?!  This is just something really hard to deal with. At first I didn't even know if I wanted to bring this out in the open because it can be embarrasing. But I feel I need some advice or suggestions at this point. I hope the doctor gives the okay to my dad to get up because I know that will help tremendously but as long as he has to stay bedridden he is going to feel trapped. If you have any advice or suggestions please, please, please tell me!!!! I am ready for things to settle down for a bit between this and our infertility struggle! The holidays are quickly approaching. I keep reminding myself things will get better!!! Everyday is a new day:)


The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. -Deauteronomy 31:8     

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Sorry to hear of this Ashley. I will be praying for your dad, as well as your mom and yourself. I know this can be just as hard for you, if not harder. And I know this just adds more frustration with everything else you have going on. Let me know if you need to talk or anything. Love you girlie!

Chelsa said...

Didn't Shawn Otto take counseling classes recently?! I'm sure he would go speak w/ your dad!

I'll def. be praying for your entire family.