Saturday, November 16, 2013

Adoption Class

Yesterday Jarod and I headed to Indy for our last adoption class. I have really enjoyed these classes because they talk about so much! And, you are with many other couples that are going through the same thing that you can talk to. It really opens your eyes! Yesterday I left with a full heart!! They had birth mothers and a couple that just adopted a baby come speak in the afternoon and that was by far my favorite part!!! Whenever the couple spoke that just adopted you could just see the other couples eyes just light up and they were so attentive. It wasn't just a room with couples. It was a room with couples waiting and praying for the same thing and getting a glimpse of what their future may hold. Every couple that was there will get to experience that joy of parenthood through the gift of adoption. And, each will have a different story on how they became a family!

The class teaches you how important it is to be open with your kids about adopting them, being honest, educating not us but how to educate others and discussed a birthparent's perspectives. I would have to say my favorite part was when the actual birth mother's spoke to everyone. There were five that spoke and each had a touching story. When they found out they were pregnant they were ages 16-35ish. A wider range than I would have thought. These women were so brave and truly loved their child. I had tears in my eyes whenever they were talking and was trying so hard to hold them back. I can't imagine. None of them regretted the decision they had made. All of them receive pictures and updates and I definitely want to do the same whenever we adopt. I know getting that reassurance and hearing about milestones reached means the world to birth mothers. One of the women made a comment......I thought it was neat that I like Giraffe and Zebras and so does she. Just a similiar like and she loved just knowing that! The little things can mean so much!

In part of a newspaper clipping I have kept says, one gave you a seed of talent, the other an aim, one became your guiding star, the other became your sun, the first gave you life, and the second taught you to live it. This kinda reminds of what that birth mother said about having similarities. That child was already destined to like giraffes and zebras but her mother exposed her to those and taught her all about them so that she could love those animals even more.

I always knew adoption was such a blessing but it has touched me even more than I thought could be imaginable. I can't imagine what it will feel like whenever we do meet our child and get to bring he/she home with us!

I know there will be struggles but that is with every family. I want our child to feel like the most loved child ever and want to do whatever possible to provide a loving home for them! I feel fortunate having so many other families near to us that have adopted as well that I can talk to and ask questions. Having support and someone to just ask a simple questions means the world.

And, I know they have recommended not really buying much because it may be too hard having a room set up and not knowing "when" but a couple weeks ago I did order a crib. I debated about waiting but for me I feel better knowing I have some things. I have to plan a little. On our way home we picked it up yeasterday! I am a picture taker and wanted to get a picture of us picking it up but then thought maybe that will look silly. So, whenever we set it up I will have to:) I am not sure when we will put it up. But, We Have IT!!

1 comment:

Whitney said...

I love all of your updates! Continuing to pray for you and Jarod. This child will be so blessed to have you as parents!