Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Do You Recycle?

Today while I was getting things together to take the land fill I was wondering how many people recycle?! Ever since I can remember living in Florida we would recycle...they talked about it ALL the time in elementary school. They even had recycle bins delieved to every home to place items in. Once a week they would pick up the recycable items that were placed in the bins and take them away. Very convenient....but we don't have that here in Daviess County. About once every two weeks I take all of our glass jars, newpapers, milk jugs, orange juice containers, detergent jugs, boxes, cans....and whatever else is recycable to the landfill. The landfill has bins right at the entrance to put all of these things into. I don't how many of you knew that....proably most people! But I just wanted to bring this up and maybe the next time you can take your stuff there too!!! With it being just Jarod and I we don't have a ton of stuff when I go but over a year I can't imagine how much we do recycle. It is crazy to imagine how many things do get thrown in the trash that can be recycled. Go Green!! haha.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok,, bad me, but we do NOT recycle... but you did bring it to my attention.. we have soo many milk jugs, trash, (too bad diapers aren't recyclable..:) Do you just do the different trash bins in your garage? I really don't have ROOM to keep everything seperate..?

Tera said...

We are not as good as we should be, but my dad (my parents really, but my dad's the one who does all of the work!) is amazing with recycling! My parents have a large cabinet in their kitchen that fits 3 trash cans- one for plastic, one for aluminum, and the other for garbage...He just stacks the paper stuff on the back porch. I told Alex when we move, we're going to be better about recycling since we'll have a bigger garage (more room to separate everything). Also, to help Right to Life, you can donate your newspapers on the 1st Saturday of even months and the proceeds go to R to L!

Ashley said...

Abby- we have a little room next to the garage where we store our trash cans to put the boxes, cans and jugs in. it really works out good for us and doesn't take too much room. i have seen bins that are stackable that would work great. just leave everything in the bins and take them to the landfill. I am glad I brought it to your attention...I think every little bit helps:)
Tera- where do you take the newspaper to? i haven't heard of anyone doing that. great idea!

Desiree' said...

no we are bad bad bad, never have recycled! i just honestly don't think i could be disciplined enough to even try! the only recycling i take part in is at work we save pop cans and one of the girls takes them in. but we sure do go through alot of milk jugs with dru drinking at least a gallon a week himself! so will have to really ponder this idea :-)

Unknown said...

The recycling site at Loogootee
takes just about everything.
They have a separate bin for newspaper that is designated for
"Right to Life", they take junk
mail (which we all get tons of)
magazines, old telephone books,
books,etc. They do not take any
glass but Montgomery does. The
Washington recycling site (across
from the Park entrance) takes a lot
of the same things as Loogootee.
I am a big believer in recycling and feel that I have an obligation
to do so. The LORD has entrusted
us to be good stewards of this earth and everything in it.
Everyone should get in the habit
of recycling, it's easy.

Chelsa said...

we're bad too :( we never recycled growing up and so i never got in that habit. i've said it numerous times to ryan that we really should (especially pop cans and milk jugs) b/c we have a lot! but i don't even know if pike county has a place... i'm sure they do but i have no idea where it is even at... ryan takes our trash to the cabinet shop so i probably wouldn't be very good at taking things to a separate place. we have no room in our garage for separate bins, but i'd love to at least have one for pop cans ... guess it wouldn't have to be a very big one...